The best place to start making a difference is right in your own home. Learn how you can reduce, reuse, and recycle materials to decrease household waste! Tips below will help you get started.
Quick Tips To Reduce Waste in Your Home:
- Reduce food waste by using up the food you already bought and have in the house instead of buying more. You already paid for it - so use it!
- Non-perishable and unspoiled perishable food can be donated to local food banks, soup kitchens, pantries, and shelters.
- Reuse items around the house such as rags and wipes, empty jars and mugs, party decorations, and gift wrap.
- Buy products in concentrate, bulk, and in refillable containers. They reduce packaging waste and can save you money!
- Return used car tires to retailers or wholesalers that recycle or retread them. Tires are banned from most landfills, and illegally dumped tires become breeding grounds for mosquitoes and other pests.
- When buying products, check the labels to determine an item's recyclability and whether it is made from recycled materials. Buying recycled encourages manufacturers to make more recycled-content products available.