Monday, February 11, 2013

Incredible Renovations Tip of the Day: Carbon Monoxide Safe

"Prevention is the Key to Avoiding Carbon Monoxide Poisoning"

Incredible Renovations Tip of the Day: Carbon Monoxide “The Silent Killer”

It is important to have carbon monoxide detectors in your home because carbon monoxide is a clear, odorless gas and exposure can be fatal.

Environmental Protection Agency’s Do’s and Don’ts

  • DO have your fuel-burning appliances - including oil and gas furnaces, gas water heaters, gas ranges and ovens, gas dryers, gas or kerosene space heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves - inspected by a trained professional at the beginning of every heating season. Make certain that the flues and chimneys are connected, in good condition, and not blocked. 
  • DO choose appliances that vent their fumes to the outside whenever possible, have them properly installed, and maintain them according to manufacturers' instructions.
  • DO read and follow all of the instructions that accompany any fuel-burning device. If you cannot avoid using an unvented gas or kerosene space heater, carefully follow the cautions that come with the device. Use the proper fuel and keep doors to the rest of the house open. Crack a window to ensure enough air for ventilation and proper fuel-burning.
  • DO call EPA's IAQ INFO Clearinghouse (1-800-438-4318) or the Consumer Product Safety Commission (1-800-638-2772) for more information on how to reduce your risks from CO and other combustion gases and particles. 
  • DON'T idle the car in a garage - even if the garage door to the outside is open. Fumes can build up very quickly in the garage and living area of your home.
  • DON'T use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.
  • DON'T ever use a charcoal grill indoors - even in a fireplace.
  • DON'T sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater.
  • DON'T use any gasoline-powered engines (mowers, weed trimmers, snow blowers, chain saws, small engines or generators) in enclosed spaces.
  • DON’T ignore symptoms, particularly if more than one person is feeling them. You could lose consciousness and die if you do nothing.

To find out more about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, visit EPA


No comments:

Post a Comment